1785 – 1851

1. Arundel in 1785
(Ref. Plan of the Borough of Arundel of 1785)

Orchard Place did not exist at that date and King Street was known as Panets Pond Lane. There were about five houses in Panets Pond Lane and certainly not ours.

2. Arundel in 1792
(Ref.: Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce and Manufacture, West Sussex, 1792 – microfiche; The Universal British Directory, 1793/98 -Book)

Mayor: Thomas White (F)

Custom House: Thomas Broad, Comptroller

Churches: – Holy Trinity (Anglican), Rev. John Carr (or Bart); Rev. William Groome; Rev. Robert Neale (boarding school).
– Fitzalan Chapel (Catholic)

Schools: – Anglican Boarding School, Rev. Robert Neale
– Boarding Schools: Mary and Martha Blanch
Elizabeth Phillips

Physicians: -John Byafs, Surgeon;
-Thomas Wickham, Surgeon.
Law: -William Henly, Attorney
-James Holmes, Attorney.

Banks: – Charles Bushley and Sons
– Shaft, Robinson, Shaft and Co.

The post arrived everyday at 11.00 and left at 15.00

There is a stagecoach for White Horse, Fetter-Lane and London three times a week (William keen and Co., Proprietor).

A Cross Country Coach from Portsmouth to Brighton goes through Arundel both ways three times a week. The total distance is 48 miles and the fare is 14s 6d.

There was also Carter’s wagon from London once a week.

Arundel’s Taverns and Public Houses: Not found any

Victuallers managed by:
-James Champion
-Edward Elliot
-Thomas Farrel
-William Lucas
-John Macklin
-John Pullin
-Thomas Smith

Arundel’s Hotels:
-Norfolk Arms Inn (hotel), George Blanch.
-Crown Inn, John Pell

Brewery
-Edward Puttock

Wine Merchants:
-John Lane
-Thomas Robinson

A summary list of all the traders is to be found in Table “ArundelStreets – 1792″

3. Arundel in 1822
(Arundel Borough Archive P4/1,2)

According to that map King Street existed at that date but not Orchard Place. There does not seem to have any houses on King Street but the map is not clear and does not prove anything.

4. Arundel in 1828
(Ref.: Directory of Sussex, Pigot, 1828 – microfiches)
Arundel was a Borough and market Town (Borough by prescription). Two MP, at that time Alderman Atkins and F. Lombe junior, represented it in the Parliament. Arundel was governed by a Mayor (chosen annually), 12 Burgesses, 2 Constables, 2 Portreeves, 2 Ale conners, 2 Leather Searcher and 2 sergeants at Mace. Arundel was a busy bonded port with a Customhouse. At the last census (1821) 1175 males and 1336 females (total 2511 people) lived in Arundel.

Churches: – Holy Trinity (Anglican), Rev. Edmund Cartwright
– Fitzalan Chapel (Catholic)
– Meeting House for Quaker

School: – Charity School on the united plans of Bell and Lancaster

Banks: – Henty, Hopkins and Henty, High Street

Theatre: one

Post Office: W.H. Lucas, Postmaster. The post arrives at 08.00 and leaves at 17.30.

Custom House: Jeremiah Lear, Collector
John Wilson, Comptroller

Attorneys: – Freeman and Calhoun, Tarrant Street
– Holmes William and Richard, Maltravers Street

Academies – Boarding: – For Gentlemen, one on Arun Street and two on
Tarrant Street
– For Ladies, one on Maltravers Street and one
on London Road

Insurance Agencies:
– County
– Globe Fire and Life, High Street
– Guardian
– Norwich Union Fire and Life, High Street
– Royal Exchange Fire and Life, Tarrant Street
– Sun Fire and Life, Tarrant Street

Arundel’s Taverns and Public Houses

-General Abercrombie, Queen Street, George Elliot
-King’s Arms, Tarrant Street, William Street
-Newburghs Arms, Tarrant Street, William stone
-Old Ship, King Street, Edward Elliot
-Red Lion Inn, High Street, Richard Pannet
-The Mary’s Gate Inn, London Road/King Street, Mary Glossop
-Swan, High Street, John Simpson
-Wheatsheaf Inn, Maltravers Street, John Hersee
-White Hart Inn, Queen Street, JAS Stallard

Arundel’s Hotels

-Norfolk Hotel, High Street, Thomas Newman
-Bridge Commercial Inn, Queen Street, George Young
-Crown Inn, High Street, Richard Ade

Coaches: – To London from Norfolk Arms, everyday
To Brighton, everyday
To Portsmouth/Southampton from Norfolk Arms, everyday

Carriers: – To London from bridge Inn, once a week
To Brighton, Worthing, Shoreham from the Swan, daily
To Chichester and Portsmouth, The Duke from King Street, twice a week
To Petworth and Boxall from the Newburgh Arms, once a week

Water conveyance: – To London, Guilford, Richmond, Kingston, Portsmouth and Chichester, every week.

A summary list of the traders is to be found in Table “ArundelStreets – 1828″

5. Arundel in 1831
(Ref. Ordnance Survey Map of Arundel, 1831. P.M. Arundel-140)

King and our house are there but no Orchard Place yet.

6. Arundel in 1839
(Ref. Pigot for Kent, Surrey and Sussex, book)

Mayor:
Town Clerk:
County Court:
Excise Office:
Custom House: John Wilson, Collector; John Bennett Comptroller
Police Station:
Inland Revenue: William Cooper, Maltravers Street, Collector of Taxes
Territorial Force:

Arundel and District Nursery and Emergency Hospital:

Churches: – Holy Trinity (Anglican), Rev. H.J. Parsons; Rev. Mark
Aloysius Tierney
– Fitzalan Chapel (Catholic)
– Independants’ Chapel

Schools: – National School (boys and girls), Tarrant Street, George
Biddle, Master and Mrs Biddle, Mistress.

PS: Other Academies and Schools:
Charles Barkshire, Tarrant Street
Mrs and Miss Boismaison (boarding), College House
Sophia Cooper, Maltravers Street
Mary Ann Crowther, High Street
Mary Hammond, Maltravers Street
Ann Hersee, Maltravers Street
Mary Knupp, High Street
William Smith (boarding), Tarrant Street

Railway Station: None

Post Office, Money Orders, telegraph Office, Savings Bank, Insurance Office:
– Tarrant Street, Charles Weller, Postmaster.

Insurance Agencies:
Alliance, High Street
Atlas, High Street
Globe, High Street
Norwich Union, High Street
Royal Exchange, Tarrant Street
Sun, Maltravers Street
Guardian, High Street

Banks: – Henty, Upperton, and Olliver)
– Hopkins and Drewitt, High Street
– Savings bank

Arundel’s Public Houses
-General Abercrombie, Queen Street, J. Boxall
-King’s Arms, Tarrant Street, Mrs Caroline Hersee
-Newburgh Arms, Tarrant Street, Thomas Cosens
-Old Ship, King Street, John Searle
-Red Lion Inn, High Street, Mrs Mary Morley
-St Mary’s Gate Inn, London Road, George Hunt
-Swan Hotel, High Street, James Milton
-Wheatsheaf Inn, Maltravers Street, unoccupied
-White Hart Inn, Queen Street, Richard Parish
-Black Rabbi, Offham, James Olliver

Arundel’s Hotels

-Bridge Commercial Inn, Queen Street, Phillip Sensier
-Crown, High Street, Thomas Cooper
-Norfolk Hotel, High Street, John Flood

Beer Retailers

Breweries, Wine and spirit
-George Constable, Swallow Brewery, Queen Street
-Osborn and Duke, Tarrant Street

NB: Bakers in King Street:
-Moses Burchell
-Thomas Fowle

7. Arundel in 1841
(Ref. Tithe Map, Census)

King Street and Orchard Place, as well as our house (plot 382) and old cottage (PLOT 436), are on this map. The land behind our house is seen on the plot 400 on the Tithe map of that year (Record Office, Chichester).

The owner/occupier is the Parish Officer and it is described as “Poor House Outbuilding Yard and Garden”. In other words, it belongs to the town and not to the Old Ship Inn.

Arundel’s Public Houses (Census 1841)

-Bridge Inn, Queen Street, Phillip Sensier, Publican, 45,
7 more people living in
-Crown Inn, High Street, Don Souter, Publican, 45, one
more person living in
-St Mary’s Gate Inn, London Road, George Hunt, Publican,
50, 6 more people living in
-White Hart Inn, Queen Street, John Boxall, Publican, 45,
16 more people living in.
-Ship Public House, Mrs Elizabeth Searle, Public House
Keeper, 50, 6 more people living in.
-King’s Arms, Tarrant Street, Mrs Caroline Hersee
-Newburghs Arms, Tarrant Street, William Lewis Burrell
-Red Lion Inn, High Street, William Souter
-Wheatsheaf Inn, Maltravers Street, John Turner
-Black Rabbit, Offham, James Olliver

In the 1841 Census our house was described as “Ship Public House” owned by Mr George Constable. There was no mention of “Old Ship Inn”. Mr Constable is also the owner of the “Swallow Brewery” and of five other Pubs/Public Houses in Arundel where he was Mayor in 1837. The property was rented to Mrs Elizabeth Searle who was the Landlord of the Ship Inn.

Arundel’s Hotels
-Norfolk Hotel, High Street, Thomas Cooper, Publican, 45,
29 more people living in.
-Swan Hotel, High Street, Richard Lillywhite, Publican,
60, 4 more people living in.

8. Arundel in 1845
(Reference: Kelly’s Sussex, 1845 -book)

The area covered by Arundel is about 1830 acres. The population at that time was estimated at 2624 people and the total Income Tax evaluation amounted to £11,645.

Mayor:
Town Clerk: George Balchin, Tarrant Street
County Court: Clerks to Magistrates, William and Richard Holmes
Excise Office:
Custom House: John Wilson, Collector and Comptroller
Police Station:
Inland Revenue:
Territorial Force:

Arundel and District Nursery and Emergency Hospital:

Churches: – Holy Trinity (Anglican), Rev. G.A.F. Hart; Rev. A.F.
Parsons; Rev. Mark Aloysius Tierney
– Fitzalan Chapel (Catholic)

Schools: – National School, Tarrant Street, George Biddle (or Bush),
Master and Mrs Biddle (or Bush), Mistress.

Railway Station: None

Post Office, Money Orders, telegraph Office, Savings Bank, Insurance Office:
– Tarrant Street, Charles Weller, Postmaster.

Insurance Agencies:
Alliance Fire and Life, High Street
Atlas Fire and Life, Maltravers Street
Clerical and Medical Life, Tarrant Street
Globe Fire and Life, High Street
London Co. Fire and Life, High Street
Norwich Union Fire and Life, High Street
Royal Exchange Fire and Life, Tarrant Street
Sun Fire and Life, Tarrant Street
Guardian, High Street

Banks:
– Arundel Old Bank, High Street (Henty Upperton, Upperton
and Olliver
– London and County Banking Co., James Holmes Hopkins
Manager,High Street
– Savings Bank, William Smith, Actuary

Seminaries (boarding houses):
Mrs and Miss Boismaison, College House
Miss Sophia Cooper, Maltravers Street (day seminary)
Mrs Mary Crowther, High Street (day seminary)
Mrs Ann Hersee, Maltravers Street

Arundel’s Public Houses

-General Abercrombie, Queen Street, Thomas Smith
-Bridge Commercial Inn, Queen Street, Phillip Sensier
-Bull and Crown Inn, High Street, George Bull
-King’s Arms, Tarrant Street, Mrs Caroline Hersee
-Newburghs Arms, Tarrant Street, William Lewis Burrell
-Red Lion Inn, High Street, William Souter
-St Mary’s Gate Inn, London Road, George Hunt
-Wheatsheaf Inn, Maltravers Street, John Turner
-White Hart Inn, Queen Street, John Boxall
-Black Rabbi, Offham, James Olliver

Arundel’s Hotels

-Norfolk Hotel, High Street, Thomas Cooper
-Swan Hotel, High Street, Richard Lillywhite

Beer Retailers

High Street: -James King
Maltravers Street: -William Gale
Mill Lane: -William Geering
Tarrant Street: -Charles Roe

Breweries, Wine and spirit
-George Constable, Queen Street
-Osborn and Duke, Maltravers Street

A summary list of the traders is to be found in Table “ArundelStreets – 1845″. Mr Thomas Fowle was a baker in King Street.

9. Arundel in 1851
(References: Kelly’s Sussex, 1851, microfiche, and Directory of Sussex)

The area covered by Arundel is about 1830 acres. The population at that time was estimated at 2624 people and the total Income Tax evaluation amounted to £11,645.

Mayor:
Town Clerk: George Balchin
County Court: George Balchin, Tarrant Street
Excise Office: John Selden, Supervisor, Bridge Inn
Custom House: Daniel Gill, Collector

Police Station: Town Hall, John Peacock, Inspector
Inland Revenue:
Territorial Force:

Arundel and District Nursery and Emergency Hospital:

Churches: -Holy Trinity, Rev. G.A.F. Hart (Anglican)
-Fitzalan Chapel (Catholic)

Schools: – National School, Tarrant Street, William Smith, Master
and Mrs Smith, Mistress.

Railway Station:

Post Office, Money Orders, telegraph Office, Savings Bank, Insurance Office:
– Tarrant Street, Charles Weller, Postmaster.

Insurance Agencies:
Alliance Fire and Life, High Street
Atlas Fire and Life, Maltravers Street
Clerical and Medical Life, Tarrant Street
Globe Fire and Life, High Street
London Co. Fire and Life, High Street
Norwich Union Fire and Life, High Street
Royal Exchange Fire and Life, Tarrant Street
Sun Fire and Life, Tarrant Street
Western Life, High Street

Banks:
Arundel Old Bank (Henty, Upperton, Olliver), High Street
London and County Banking Co., John Hemery, Manager, High Street
Savings’ Bank, George Biddle, Actuary, Tarrant Street

Arundel’s Public Houses

-General Abercrombie, Queen Street, John Richard
-Black Rabbit, Offham, James Olliver
-Bridge Commercial Inn, Queen Street, Henry Peters
-Crown Inn, High Street, George Bull
-King’s Arms, Tarrant Street, Mrs Caroline Hersee
-Newburghs Arms, Tarrant Street, William Burrell
-Red Lion Inn, High Street, Henry Dyer
-St Mary’s Gate Inn, London Road, George Hersee
-Wheatsheaf Inn, Maltravers Street, James Leshley
-White Hart Inn, Queen Street, John Boxall

Arundel’s Hotels

-Norfolk Hotel, High Street, Robert Garwood
-Swan Hotel, High Street, Richard Lillywhite

Beer Retailers

High Street: -James King
Maltravers Street: -William Gale
Mill Lane: -William Geering
Tarrant Street: -Sarah Roe (Mrs)
-Mark Jones

Breweries, Wine and spirit
-George Constable, Queen Street
-Osborn and Duke, Maltravers Street

A summary list of the traders is to be found in Table “ArundelStreets – 1851″

Bookmark and Share